Meaghen Weaver | PocketWeavers Bring Awareness

My story: 

My mother had preeclampsia with both me and my brother and developed toxemia with me, so when I found out I was pregnant I knew that could possibly happen with me.  I had a great 1st trimester and a first half of my 2nd trimester.  In the middle of my 2nd trimester I had high blood pressure, but no protein in my urine so they ruled out preeclampsia.  Fast forward to my third trimester, around 30-31 weeks I started noticing/feeling inflammation around my feet and ankles.  Very quickly my feet became round, who knew that your feet could go from flat to round?  It hurt to sit or walk for an extended period of time.  The doctor put me on modified bed rest, I was able to work for 4-6 hours a day if there was a way for me to be able to prop my feet up.  Thankfully I had/have a job that I am able to do that, so I was still able to work.  Looking back now, I should have really listened to my body and requested to be put on full bed rest instead of putting myself through all of the pain and discomfort of walking/driving to work.  

The weekend of my baby shower, we had our 34 week check up.  If you are a mom or have been through the process with your SO, you understand the drill when you go to the OB's office.  You pee on a stick that shows if you have proteins in your urine, BP is taken, ultrasound/sonogram if it is scheduled and the millions of questions the doctors ask you on how you are feeling, your diet and overall birth-plan.   When I peed on the stick I instantly knew something was wrong, the colors were different.  Then they took my blood pressure, which was high and not coming down.  They sent me to the hospital to be "evaluated."  I was in triage for 7 hours being monitored before they decided that it was time for Mr. Man to make his entrance.  We induced labor that evening, but by morning I was tired/weak and my blood pressure wasn't budging so we decided to do a c-section.  We were of the opinion that when it was time to have Mr. Man that we wouldn't go into it with a specific plan, knowing that c-section wasn't our plan it was the right decision and the hardest decision in that moment.  I wanted to be selfish and have a vaginal birth, but I had to understand that I am no longer living for myself...I am responsible for another life.  That moment I made the decision to have a c-section I became a mom!  

Our Mr. Man made his arrival 6 weeks early on June 4th, 2016 at 12:36.  He spent 18 days in the NICU and got to come home on June 22nd.  I was in the hospital for a little over a week after having Mr. Man because I couldn't get my blood pressure regulated, even on medication and my rare allergy to Norvasc.  

While my birth story was an adventure that I wouldn't change, I would have liked to have been aware of what preeclampsia really entailed.   While I knew my mom had it with both me and my brother, I was obviously not around to see the signs and symptoms of preeclamsia or toxemia.  I want to raise awareness and donations towards research.  If we decide we want another child, I would like to find a way to not have preeclampsia, but the chances of me having it again are high since I have already had it.  

So, Thank you for visiting my 2017 Promise Walk for Preeclampsia fundraising page.

I am grateful for your donations and for your help in spreading the word about preeclampsia. My goal is to help our community raise funds and awareness and save the lives of moms and babies!

Please make a donation to support our efforts to fund education and research into this life-threatening disorder of pregnancy.

Thank you and so much love! 


Funds raised: $0 of $1,000
10 percent raised


Thank you donors
Be the first!
PocketWeavers Bring Awareness
Join our team!

The Preeclampsia Foundation would like to thank its generous National Sponsors: