Megan Gourley | Angel's Promise

Thank you for visiting my 2017 Promise Walk for Preeclampsia fundraising page.

I am grateful for your donations and for your help in spreading the word about preeclampsia. My goal is to help our community raise funds and awareness and save the lives of moms and babies!

Please make a donation to support our efforts to fund education and research into this life-threatening disorder of pregnancy.

My Story: 

In March of 2013 I found out that I was pregnant. My boyfriend and I were so excited to become parents. A couple weeks later I went to the hospital since to have the baby checked on since my preferred doctor did not have an opening for a new patient until I was almost in my second trimester. While getting everything checked out we found out we were having twins. This was not surprising since twins run on both sides of our family but at the same time it is something you think is just going to skip over you. Everything was looking good during the pregnancy except for the fact that I was in the hospital every week with nausea and not being to hold anything down. I had to went to my 25 week check up on a Wednesday and let my doctor know I was having very uncomfortable back pain. He tested my urine and all that and everything came back at normal levels. He prescribed a muscle relaxer for my back and sent me home. I worked a closing shift the following day. My back pain had got so bad that it was making me sick and I the only place I did not feel pain was in the bath tub. The following morning (Friday) I called my doctor and let him know that the muscle relaxers were not working and my back pain was worse. He was working in the hospital that day and told me to stop in and he would have a nurse do a stress test and do a urine sample again. I went to breakfast thinking the results would be what they are every week. Just me being dehydrated and not having enough nutrients since I couldn't keep anything down. While at breakfast I let my boyfriend know that my doctor did want me to come in. He immediately asked for the check and we headed to the hospital. Within 15 minutes I have 2 nurses on both sides of me and my doctor at the foot of my bed explaining what was happening. A nurse on each side putting IV's in both of my arms and a nurse a both legs hooking compression pads around my legs. I was told I had preeclampsia with HELLP syndrome. This is something I had never heard of before. Luckily I had an amazing doctor to explain everything that was happening. My blood pressure was 110/90 and I had protein in my urine. My platelets were very low and my enzymes wouldn't go below 90 with medication. Since I was only 25 weeks, they told me they were going to try and keep my vitals stable with medication for as long as possible. Sunday came and I had the hospitals pastor and my doctor in my room telling me that one of the twins was not growing as fast as the other. They sat down with me and we went through our worst case scenario options. I was told that their main goal was to keep me alive and if we came out of this with 2 babies than that would be great. As if being hospitalized wasn't stressful enough, now I had to plan for what my decision would be if one of my daughters was born at a weight where they could not help her. That Monday my enzymes had rocketed back up and they were preparing me for an emergency c-section. Aliyah came out first weighing 1 pound 3.4 ounces. Angel came out next weighing only 10 ounces. They put the girls together right away and took a few pictures for me since they knew Angel would not live for long. Aliyah was then taken straight to the NICU and Angel was brought to my room to spend time with me and the family for the hours she had to live. Angel lived for 2 hours and passed away. I did not get to see Aliyah for the first time until 3 days after she was born. I didn't know what else to do except cry. I couldn't hold my child, I couldn't take time to bond with her. I felt out of control and helpless. Aliyah is not 3 (4 on July 29, 2017) and healthy as can be. I still feel Angel every day and think about her all the time. This experience changed my life and is something I pray to find to find a cure for. 

Funds raised: $0 of $250
10 percent raised


Thank you donors
Be the first!
Angel's Promise
Join our team!

The Preeclampsia Foundation would like to thank its generous National Sponsors: